Monday, September 05, 2005

it doesn't really feel like a holiday...

There's the good and the bad about extreme media saturation. On the one hand, I am at least constantly aware of the problems that are happening right now. It's difficult to be willfully ignorant when it is shoved in my face. On the other hand, it has made me completely numb and overwhelmed. As a former sociology major, I find this disaster fascinating for all the wrong reasons. It's been pretty central in my mind for the past few nights, to the point of losing sleep.

And of course there are the rants. I love the Internet because it allows anyone with the right access to complain about whatever they choose, whether it be broccoli or President Bush. But at the same time I don't feel that just because a certain site has more traffic means their opinion is any more valid than another's. I'm choosing to link to this one in particular, and not because it is the one I agree with the most (this is not to say that I disagree, either), but because it provides some musical context to go along with directives. Just an idea.

Part of the problem is that I am still woefully unemployed, which makes it easier to get caught up in all of this. Luckily I have found a few distractions. One was going to the Minnesota State Fair finally. [Pictures from my adventures here.] I've also been doing lots of Sodoku puzzles. I tried these before but was driving myself insane because I was missing out on a crucial part of the instructions (the 3x3 part). It makes a lot more sense now, obviously. I've also been running more and that feels good.

To close, a quote of seemingly unknown origins.
A society is ultimately judged by how it treats its weakest and most vulnerable members.


(whoops, spoke too soon...) Ah geeze I almost forgot! Editorial Cartoons. So succinct, they help clear up some of the media clutter wracked in my brain.

No comments: