Wednesday, February 27, 2008

tortilla chips.

My laziness is very illogical. Sometime at work today I decided that I wanted tortilla chips, but I was too lazy to go to the store to get some, so instead, I would make them. (though, maybe this says more about me being a total homebody during the week.) It worked out though, because I have a bunch of corn tortillas that are not going away because I only like them for certain things and they're only sold in huge quantities.

So, using this recipe as a rough guide, I made tortilla chips. I put oil on 'em, cut them up*, and seasoned them with salt, cumin, and chili powder. While they baked I cooked up some quick chili for tostada salad. [so easy: black beans + diced tomatoes + onion + garlic + spices = 10 minute chili. then eat it with spinach mixed in. yum.] They took longer to bake than expected, but finally (most of) the batch was crisp. I excitedly tried one and....not nearly enough salt! Sigh. So I added some more, and ate my dinner.

Lesson learned: homemade tortilla chips are easy but unless you deep fry them and douse them in salt you should probably just go buy a bag. I tend to get the Target organic ones.

[Pictures here.]

*Did I mention my new knife?! It's super sharp and cuts way better than my dull IKEA one and makes me feel like an adult!

No comments: