Thursday, June 19, 2008

bloggy blog blog.

I feel like my blog needs an update. My links list on the sidebar is so so old, and not really reflective of what I actually read now. I also want a...I don't even know what you call it. A title bar? Sure, a new title bar. With pictures! The problem is, I clearly have no design know how when it comes to web elements, and no programs with with which to design anything. Don't get me wrong - I can figure out what looks good. But I can't create it and install it into my blog.

Digressing, digressing. What I want is something like this:

coffee.rooftoptri-color tomatoesIMG_4937blood orange

Basically, pictures (perhaps bigger) across the top, then with pictures of cupcakes scrawled on the bottom right hand side in a pretty font. Now, let's ignore for a second that this seems not too difficult and yet I have no clue how to do it. Instead let's think about: what do these pictures say about my blog? Do they reflect what I write?

The way I see it, the pictures that I have chosen (for now, this could be changed) say that the content of this blog is 60% food, and 40% buildings/lighting fixtures. Uhh. Hmm.

So then of course the nerdy math geek in me came out (again! you've been so persistent lately!) and said, "Hey, why don't you do an analysis of what your blog is really about?"

I came up with 6 basic categories, though some are quite broad:

- Food
- Links
- Life/personal/etc
- Craft
- Semi-enlightened attempts at writing (Really, this is life/personal/etc but longer and trying a bit harder, I guess. For example: comparing ReadyMade in digital and print form)
- Music

I crunched the numbers (just for posts from 2008), and came up with this:

36% Life/personal/etc
24% Links
21% Food
10% Semi-enlightened attempts at writing
7% Craft
7% Music

..and, those numbers totally add up to 105% because the extra 5% is for AWESOME. Or, I rounded and counted a couple of entries in more than category.


Where was I going with this? Oh yeah, header picture thingies. I need one! The end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://mooniker.net/erica/5a_banner_title.png

Layout > Page Elements > Header (Edit), "Instead of title and description" (etc).

Also, without the title:
http://mooniker.net/erica/5a_banner.png

I thought it would be funny to whip these up out of screenshots. But I don't think they are that usable (design-wise). Ha.