Friday, June 15, 2007

climate control.

To A/C or not to A/C, that is the question.

It has been 90 degrees for over a week or so here, and my apartment does not have air conditioning. I have a window unit (somewhere - my sister's house?) that I could put in, but that involves getting it, and you know...actually putting it in. Last summer I got stubborn after an atypically hot Memorial Day weekend. I thought, I lived through that, I can live through anything! Most of the time, it was fine. And when it did get unbearably hot I knew all things would pass before I got the damn window unit set up.

The truth is, I sort of hate air conditioning. I hate being cold in a skirt and flip flops when it's 90 degrees outside. I hate that it feels fake. I hate that it's more expensive and is worse for the planet than using fans and keeping the lights off. And when people are complaining and wondering how anyone can survive without it, I wonder about unbearably hot places like the Middle East. Or the Sahara! The jungle, even!! They don't have air conditioning and they live! Probably because they just get used to it. So that's what I'm trying to do.

Furthermore, summer shouldn't be about layering cardigans over tank tops and hot days and wishing you had brought a pair of socks because your feet are cold. Summer is about wearing as little as possible in the comfort of your own home (and possibly others'), relishing in cold showers, and taking afternoon naps because it's just too hot to move. And when it really gets bad, I can just walk to the nice cool coffeeshop or visit my parents and their pool.

No comments: