Sunday, November 30, 2008

diy spa.

A few weeks ago I went to a spa party, which is basically just an exercise in making me feel bad about not taking care of my skin properly while trying to get me to buy expensive lotions. The first goal worked really well, the second one, not so much. I figured, why spend so much money on a face mask made with volcanic ash when I can make my own using food from my kitchen?

I started on this site which has a bunch of suggestions with yogurt and honey, because I pretty much always have those. I tried a face mask first.

Moisturizing Mask

- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1-2 tablespoons oatmeal, cooked and cool (or, just add water to dry oats at about a 2-1 ratio if you don't feel like cooking it)

Mix together and put it on your face, yo. Be careful not to drip oatmeal all over your house. Also, it's really tasty but maybe don't eat it off your face. Rinse off after 10-15 minutes.


Then there were my hands. Lately they've been feeling like awful sandpaper and nothing really helped. So I clicked on the first google hit and found this recipe:

Oatmeal Hand Scrub

- 2 tablespoons oatmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil

Mix together, rub it on your hands, then wash off and moisturize. You probably don't want to eat this one, unless you really like oatmeal and salad dressing.


The verdicts? Who knows how well they really worked, but my hands and face feel nicer, I think. And I didn't have to spend a ton of money on it, throw away unnecessary packaging, or kill baby seals with exfoliating things! Hooray!

No comments: